Research Technical Officer
Phone: + 61 (3) 59512803
Mail: Phillip Island Nature Parks, PO Box 97, Cowes Vic. 3922, Australia
Little penguin ecology
- Monitoring breeding success & survival of penguins
- Satellite tracking penguins during breeding & non breeding
- Collection of samples for penguin diet analysis
- Assisting in seabird & shorebird counts and banding
- Collecting penguin & seal faecal samples for diet analysis
- Development & maintenance of biological databases
- Maintaining reference library & associated database
Leanne has worked in the Research Department at Phillip Island Nature Parks since 1993. The main focus of her work is monitoring the breeding success, survival & weights of penguins at sites on the Summerland Peninsula. Leanne’s position involves field trips to offshore islands to monitor other penguin colonies in Victoria. Her role also includes monitoring breeding colonies of crested terns and silver gulls.
Graduate Certificate in Environmental & Heritage Interpretation – 1993, Deakin University, Melbourne
Associate Diploma in Natural Resource Management – 1992, Frankston TAFE, Melbourne
Chambers, L. E., Renwick, L.and Dann. P. (2009). Climate, fire and Little Penguins. Strategic Assessment of the Vulnerability of Australia’s Biodiversity to Climate Change. CSIRO Melbourne.