- Phillip Island Nature Parks Community Open Day
- Local Pass
- National Surfing Reserve Teams Challenge 2019
- Phillip Island's National Surfing Reserve takes Marram Grass to task
Phillip Island Nature Parks’ annual Community Open Day was on Sunday 3 March 2019.
Bass Coast Shire residents flocked to Phillip Island Nature Parks to enjoy their annual Community Open Day despite the hot conditions on Sunday 3 March.
The day offered free entry to all Nature Parks attractions as well as a program of activities with rangers and volunteers to allow the community to experience and learn more about the Nature Parks’ environmental programs and community involvement.
The event also provided the occasion to launch the Nature Parks’ new 30-Year Conservation Vision - Beyond the Horizon.
More info: email@example.com
Do you live in the Bass Coast Shire? Phillip Island Nature Parks is launching a new and exclusive Bass Coast Shire residents 'Local Pass' on 01 April 2016.
For one low price, the new Local Pass will offer unlimited entry for 12 months into 4 of the Nature Parks’ major attractions. Come and visit our iconic little penguins at the Penguin Parade, relax and unwind at Churchill Island Heritage Farm, check out the residents at the Koala Conservation Centre, and immerse yourself in the exciting new Antarctic Journey at the Nobbies.
Local Passes are only available for purchase at any of the Nature Parks venues.
$59.50 per adult
$29.70 per child (4 to 15 years)
To ensure the pass is exclusive to Bass Coast Shire residents, you must show identification of your residency within the Bass Coast Shire – driver’s licence, rates notice etc. The pass is available for purchase from the Penguin Parade, Koala Conservation Centre, Churchill Island Heritage Farm and the Antarctic Journey at the Nobbies. Photo ID needs to be presented with the pass to gain entry at all locations.
Contact us for more information:
Ph: 5951 2830
National Surfing Reserve Annual Surfing Teams Challenge 2019
Phillip Island National Surfing Reserve’s annual team challenge was held on Saturday 23 February 2019 and surfers of all ages and styles. Now in its sixth year, the event has become a favourite in the surfing calendar due to the diverse team make up and tag team format and reflects what surfing and the Reserve are all about - fun, family, community and great waves.
Team Crushers captained by Nick Fostin has won the sixth Phillip Island National Surfing Reserve Teams Challenge and Dave Fincher Memorial Trophy at the event held on Saturday 23 February 2019. Glorious weather and the majestic backdrop of Cape Woolamai surrounded all of the surfing action as nine teams battled it out. The classic Woolamai conditions were challenging at the start of the comp but improved on the rising tide. “For six years we’ve been chipping away at this title,” said Nick Fostin as he accepted the Dave Fincher Trophy, presented by Dave’s daughter Michelle.
1. BEST CONTRIBUTOR (as nominated by team captain)
(Prize: Certificate, cap, keyring - Islantis)
TEAM 1 –: ISLAND – Blake Green
TEAM 2 –: PENGUINS – Matt Krumins
TEAM 3 –: MISFITS – Riley Johnson
TEAM 4 –: SPOONBILLS – Jamie Liatoa
TEAM 5 –: TEAM CRUSHERS – Lannia Fostin
TEAM 6 -: WOOLAMAI HARDS – Andrew Burgan
Team 7 –: NO VEGGIES – Ebony Maier
Team 8 –: HIPS HEROES – Billy Hoskings
Team 9 –: INTO 3000 – Hannah Eisen
2. BEST JUNIOR
(Prize: Hoodie & fins – Rip Curl)
NAME: Codie Jeffrey TEAM: TEAM CRUSHERS
3. BEST KNEEBOARDER/40+ SHORT BOARD
(Prize: $100 Voucher – Westernport Hotel + Vissla T-shirt Full Circle)
NAME: Simon Chipper TEAM: ISLAND
4. BEST SINGLE FIN RIDER
(Prize: Voucher – Musclescope Massage, Vissla Hoodie – Full Circle)
NAME: Jake Eisen TEAM: TEAM CRUSHERS
5. BEST MALIBU RIDER
(Prize: $100 Voucher – Watermark Restaurant, Silverwater Resort + Vissla
Boardshorts – Full Circe)
NAME: Andrew Burgan TEAM: WOOLAMAI HARDS
6. BEST OVER 50 SHORT BOARD RIDER
(Prize: Black Vissla Jacket – Full Circle)
NAME: Dumpy Liddy TEAM: TEAM CRUSHERS
7. BEST TWIN FIN (PRE-1985)
(Prize: $100 Voucher – Westernport Hotel + Vissla pants – Full Circle)
NAME: Ash Easton TEAM: TEAM CRUSHERS
JUDGES DISCRETION AWARDS CATEGORY:
1. RAMADA AWARD FOR BEST MANOUVRE
(Prize: $500 voucher – 2 nights accommodation at Ramada Resort)
NAME: Cody Jeffrey TEAM: TEAM CRUSHER
2. REECE AWARD FOR TWIN FIN EXCELLENCE
(Prize: $300 voucher from Reece Plumbing)
NAME: Sandy Ryan TEAM: ISLAND
3. AWARD - ENTERTAINMENT
(Prize: PINP T-shirt)
NAME: Selim Delvan TEAM: WOOLAMAI HARDS
4. Award - DUMBELL
(Prize: PINP Hoodie)
NAMES: Ian Garrett TEAM: WOOLAMAI HARDS
1. ISLAND SURFBOARDS - BEST PERFORMANCE BY NON-SPONSORED
(Prize: Custom surfboard valued at $800)
NAME: Lannia Fostin TEAM: TEAM CRUSHERS
2. PHILLIP ISLAND RSL TEAM SPIRIT AWARD
(Prize: Meal voucher valued at $350)
NAME: Sam Guzzardi TEAM: NO VEGGIES
3. PRO SURF COACHING EMERGING SURFER AWARD
(Prize: 4 x 2-hour surf lessons valued at $480)
NAME: Riley Johnson TEAM: MISFIT
4. BEST SUPER GROMMET – SPONSORED BY NEWHAVEN COLLEGE
(Prize: Individual coaching session with Glyndyn Ringrose + Frankie Turnip T-shirt)
NAME: Oliver Van Venroy TEAM: INTO 3000
5. RAMADA RESORT - OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY MALE SURFER
(Prize: Accommodation voucher – 2 nights, valued at $500, PLUS Rip Curl pack,
valued at $200)
NAME: Glyndyn Ringrose TEAM: SPOONBILLS
6. RAMADA RESORT - OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY FEMALE SURFER
(Prize: Accommodation voucher – 2 nights, valued at $500 PLUS Rip Curl pack,
valued at $200)
NAME: Lannia Fostin TEAM: TEAM CRUSHERS
7. RIP CURL ISLANTIS – HIGHEST SCORING WAVE
(Prize: Rip Curl GPS Watch valued at $400)
NAME: Glyndyn Ringrose (9) TEAM: SPOONBILLS
TEAM CHALLENGE WINNERS
SIXTH: INTO 3000 POINTS: 45.5
FIFTH: PENGUINS POINTS: 47
FOURTH: WOOLAMAI HARDS POINTS: 52.5
THIRD PRIZE - $500
Team: SPOONBILLS POINTS: 52.7
Captained by: Andy Neal
SECOND PRIZE - $1000
Team: ISLAND POINTS: 71.5
Captained by: Sandy Ryan
FIRST PRIZE - $2000
Team: TEAM CRUSHERS POINTS: 90
Captained by: Nick Fostin
Updates and info here and on Facebook
Churchill Island’s rich history has been documented in the release of the ‘Churchill Island Conservation Management Plan’ which was showcased at a series of community information sessions in late July.
Over 25 community members attended the sessions where Anita Brady from ‘Lovell Chen’ gave participants an overview of the plan’s findings and recommendations. Ms Brady explained that the plan was developed following an accepted methodology, as practised across Australia, and endorsed by the heritage agencies and authorities.
The plan scope included buildings and structures, gardens and the broader landscape, archaeology (not Indigenous) and the collection of machinery and objects. It involved input from several disciplines including historians, architects, historic landscape specialists, archaeologists, interpretation consultants and historic farm machinery specialists.
The team undertook thorough research of historical records including survey maps dating from 1801 and a recently completed PhD study. Aerial photos were also used to illustrate how the landscape has changed over time: “and these photos do not lie”, said Ms Brady.
The findings revealed that the Island has both ‘State’ and ‘Local’ significance. At a state level, it represents evidence of the early European exploration of Victoria and has the first documented planting of European crops and structure or building in the state of Victoria. At a local level, the island demonstrates ‘retreat’ history, with important owners including Melbourne identity Samuel Amess (1870s to 1920s) and Gerald Buckley (of the Buckley and Nunn Melbourne department stores from the 1920s).
It also is an example of the era of the early conservation movement including Victoria Conservation Trust (1970s to 1980s) and demonstrates the survival of the remnant Moonah trees and their integration into the modified landscape.
The plan clearly identifies original elements and recommends that ‘items of significance be retained and conserved’. It endorses emphasising what is authentic about the island, to enhance awareness and understanding of the history. It also states that ‘change can be considered where it supports the ongoing viability and operation of the island’.
“In summary, the Conservation Management Plan will provide a guiding document to assist in the future planning of Churchill Island,” said Matthew Jackson, Phillip Island Nature Parks CEO.
“Now that this study has been completed, we are able to make informed decisions about Churchill Island to ensure that its important history and landscape are protected and appropriately showcased. It demonstrates that change can occur as long as it is managed in a way that has regard for heritage values.”
The plan will now be endorsed by the Phillip Island Nature Parks Board.
Please click here to view a summary of the draft plan.
Churchill Island – a brief history
The Churchill Island Conservation Management Plan details the fascinating eras of history on this tiny island in Western Port:
Pre 1798: Boon Wurrung people visit the area. (Note: Indigenous history was not included in the plan scope, this will be undertaken in a further study.)
1798 Surgeon George Bass enters and names Western Port. The bay was at that time Sydney’s furthest-known harbour to its west.
1801 Lieutenant James Grant, Captain of the HMS Lady Nelson, explores Western Port in greater detail. Grant and his men row over to Churchill Island and, under his orders, a blockhouse is erected and a garden planted. Grant names the island ‘Churchill’ after one of his benefactors (John Churchill of Dawlish, Devon) who supplied him with seed, including wheat, corn and other vegetables, to plant in the new colony.
His first mate, John Murray, assists Ensign Francis Barrallier in drawing a chart of the bay, which includes a dashed outline marking the area where ground was cleared for the blockhouse and garden on Churchill Island. The exact location of this has never been found, yet it is thought to be in the south-west corner of the island near the Moonah forest.
1801-2 Acting Lieutenant John Murray returns to Western Port the following summer to finish the survey for Bass Strait’s northern coastline and islands visited by Grant. Murray records his return visit to Churchill Island, where he noted that the corn and wheat planted earlier that year under Grant’s orders had matured and ripened and the garden and the blockhouse were as they left it.
1802-1842 Churchill Island is variously depicted as an island in its own right, as an isthmus or just left off maps produced by both British and French explorers during this time.
1842 Lewis Roper Fitzmaurice, assistant surveyor to John Lort Stokes surveys Western Port. The map Stokes produced from Fitzmaurice’s survey shows Churchill Island as wooded, with the exception of two small portions in its centre, most likely due to the fact the island was not explored on foot, but only from a small boat. No sign of Grant’s garden appears on the map.
1854 John Rogers acquires the pastoral lease for the Sandstone Island Run and becomes a squatter (The accepted term at the time, and since for a lessee of a pastoral run is a squatter). The run originally comprised of Sandstone, Elizabeth and Churchill Islands – all in Western Port. Evidence suggests that Elizabeth Island became a run in its own right in 1855, and Churchill Island was added in 1860. Until 1863 Rogers paid £10 per annum for the privilege of de-pasturing each separate Run.
1860 The Pickersgill family begin living on Churchill Island, occupying it in their own right and later sharing it with the Rogers.
1861 A Coastal Plan indicates a ‘White House’ on Churchill Island – exact location not recorded, but it was nominated as a navigational aid so would have been obvious, most likely on the top of the hill and could be where Rogers Cottages is today.
1865 Rogers purchases Churchill Island as a special lot at auction at the upset price of one pound ten shillings per acre, for 140 acres.
1866 Rogers receives title and his family continue farming Churchill Island. Sheep are de-pastured in large numbers and agriculture appears to continue. Records show that potatoes were a major crop grown.
1867 Rogers takes out a mortgage to JD Mc Haffie – likely to fund further buildings and improvements.
1869 First series of advertisements for the sale of Churchill Island - it fails to sell.
1869-72 John Rogers selects land on the mainland. It is said that the island is leased back to McHaffie.
1872 - 1929 Samuel Amess, (building contractor and Mayor of Melbourne 1869-70) purchases Churchill Island. Writings from the 1880s and 1890s strongly support the contention that Samuel Amess used the island as his private rural seaside retreat. He built the homestead and planted orchard and gardens. Farming continued and the Island remained in the family, being passed from father to son until 1929.
1929 Gerald Neville Buckley (of the Buckley and Nunn department stores in Melbourne) purchased Churchill Island. Under Buckley the island is run as a dairy farm. Buckley leaves the management of the island to local brothers Bob and Ted Jeffrey.
1932 Jeffrey brothers win the better farming award for their work on Churchill Island.
1935 Gerald Buckley dies.
1936 Churchill Island purchased by Edward Harry Jenkins for his son, Ted, who had been incapacitated due to a diving accident. Prior to the war the Jenkins family used the island as weekender, leaving its care to Eve and Ern Garratt. During the war years it seems that Ted Jenkins and Margaret Campbell, his nurse, ran the island themselves as a dairy farm. Sister Campbell cared for Ted Jenkins until his death in 1960.
1959 The first bridge from Phillip Island to Churchill Island is built, although its construction was marred by the death of one of the contractors hired to build it.
1963 Harry Jenkins dies and leaves the island to Margaret Campbell. Eve and Ern Garratt return to the island under her employ to help manage it. During this time the island was used as a primary home by its owner for the first time since the 1860s.
1973 Margaret Campbell sells Churchill Island after illness reduces her capacity to manage it. Although the newly formed Victorian Conservation Trust are interested in the property, and enlist State Government aid to purchase it, they are outbid at the auction by Alex Classou.
1976 After some years of negotiation with Alex Classou, the Victorian Conservation Trust, with the aid of the Hamer State Government purchases Churchill Island as a heritage and natural conservation site. Carroll Schulz begins work as the site’s first manager in 1978. Restoration works are carried out on the cottages, house and outbuildings.
1983 Victoria Conservation trust hands over the management of the island to Victorian National Parks.
1985 Churchill Island management changes to the Department of Natural Resources and the Environment.
1996 Phillip Island Nature Parks is given management of Churchill Island.
2000 Restoration work is completed on the homestead, this time in accordance with ICAMOS and the Burra Charter heritage guidelines. The National Trust loans period furniture to furnish the homestead and cottages. New bridge completed.
2014 Churchill Island Key Area Plan completed.
2015 Churchill Island Conservation Management Plan completed.
Draft 5 year Conservation Roadmap 2018-23